Saturday 12 September 2015

The Jungle refugee camp- Calais - Post 1

I have been in the refugee camp in Calais for less than 48 hours and I'm not really sure how to go back to my normal life. It is not something you can un-experience. I am humbled by the hospitality of the refugees that dance with us, invite us into their tents for tea, laugh with us through our mutually broken language skills; friendship is extended and gratitude expressed towards us westerners whose governments were implicit in the refugee's need to flee their homelands. Their journeys have been arduous and terrifying and, still-- almost all the people I have met while here conduct themselves not with (much warranted) anger, but with dignity and grace. That being said: I have read a few really disparaging and callous comments lately on Facebook. I don't think I actually have to say this to my own friends, but just in case-- please don't assume that everything you read in the paper or see on the news is true  heart emoticon Duh.

No comments:

Post a Comment